This funding is intended to assist people in financial difficulties.
The funding is used for food, food vouchers, emergency expenses such as fares and small bills.
Funded through: Federal Department of Social Services
This funding is intended to assist people in financial difficulties. The funding is used for food, food vouchers, emergency expenses such as fares and small bills.
The demand on this is much higher than our capacity to respond given the limited amount. However, we have been able to assist a number of people
Some of the ways we have provided assistance include:
• Fares home for a young woman stranded here after a domestic violence incident
• Assistance with paying for medication
• Assistance with transport to an urgent medical appointment in Newcastle
• Assistance with food vouchers to a young family who had lost their mother
• Assistance with food vouchers to a family waiting for Centrelink after the father became unemployed
• Assistance with obtaining a birth certificate for a young woman who had been victim of a robbery.
• Assistance with food and toiletries for people who are homeless and in the last year for people isolating due to COVID19.
During the COVID crisis this service had high demands placed on it, particularly from people waiting for Centrelink benefits after losing employment.
Some client comments:
“I was worried sick that I could not get to my Dr’s appointment in Port. I was so relieved to get help with petrol.” A.
” My payments didn’t come through and I had nothing for the kids. A food pack made a big difference and I got help to contact Centrelink too.” J.
“I was sleeping in my car and had no money for food. Got help with a meal in the microwave and a coffee and biscuits.” H.
“Thank you so much for your kindness to my son. You gave him a meal and got him a train ticket home and it made such a difference.” P’s Mum.
Send us a message
Kempsey Neighbourhood Centre is a non-profit organisation dedicated to strengthening our local communities by promoting the principles of social justice and empowering people to enhance their quality of life.